Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Morning Bird Walk in Raja Ampat

I am in Waigeo island now.  This morning I went to Warduwer beach to do some birdwatching. It was a nice birding walk. The first birds that I saw were a couple of Radjah Shelduck sitting on the dead branches of a tree near the beach. At first I did not notice them. I was trying to shoot a Sacred Kingfisher sitting on an electrical line. Shortly after shooting the kingfisher, I heard the calls of the Radjah Shelduck. I was able to make some pictures of them.
Radjah Shelduck in Waigeo island
Near the place where I stood, there was a dead tree. On top of its broken trunk, a Yellow-faced Myna (Mino anais) was sitting silently. I immediately aimed my camera at the bird and shoot. I could only make two photos of the bird. 
Yellow-faced Myna at Raflow Beach Resort - Raja Ampat
Blyth's Hornbill
As the morning got brighter, some Blyth's Hornbills, and Channel-billed Cuckoo, and Eclectus Parrots were flying in the sky. Around three of the hornbills landed on the branches of a tall tree behind me. It was not easy for me to shoot them because of backlight.
Channel-billed Cuckoo
I continued walking down the slope to Warduwer beach. This beach would be the location of Raflow Beach Resort. RAFLOW stands for Raja Ampat Flow. Here, at this beach, I was able to make some pictures of Eclectus Parrot. The Channel-billed Cuckoo was also within the reach my telephoto lens. So, I also made the picture of the bird.
Male Eclectus Parrot at Raja Ampat Flow Resort
There were also a lot of other birds that I saw that morning such as Red Bird of Paradise, Rufous-bellied Kookaburra, Spangled Drongo, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Black Sunbird, Olive-backed Sunbird, Brahminy Kite, Pacific Swallow, White-breasted Wood Swallow, and Willie Wagtail. 
Because I am still staying in Waigeo island, I will be able to take pictures of other birds as well. 
If you are interested in taking a birding tour in Raja Ampat and want me to be your guide, please, contact me (Charles Roring) by email to: peace4wp@gmail.com or by whatsapp to: +6281332245180.

Merchandise

Please, support this blog by buying art drawings and illustrations of wild animals and plants in the form of prints on various products as follows:

Watercolour Sketch of Bird

Watercolour Sketch of Bird
Fruit Dove from Tropical Rainforest

Vector Art Drawing in Inkscape

Vector Art Drawing in Inkscape
Swimming with Whaleshark

Vector art illustration in Inkscape

Vector art illustration in Inkscape
Baby leatherback turtle was reaching for the sea

Drawing of Paradise Bird

Drawing of Paradise Bird
Lesser Birds of Paradise art print on classic T-shirt

Digital Drawing in Autodesk Sketchbook

Digital Drawing in Autodesk Sketchbook
A Couple of Red Bird of Paradise