Birds of Paradise
There are tens of species of birds of paradise that visitors can see in the jungle. Some of them are western parotia, lesser birds of paradise, black sickle bill, king birds of paradise, and the magnificent birds of paradise.
In addition to paradise birds, other species that can be watched include sulphur crested cockatoo, pasquet parrots, pinon imperial pigeon, blyth's hornbill, pygmy parrots, vogelkop bowerbirds and flame bowerbirds.
Recommended Trekking Site in Bird's head region
There are several locations of trekking sites in Vogelkop or bird's head region. Some of them are as follows:
- Aiwatar hill of District Senopi in Tambrauw mountains (whic is also the best birdwatching site I have ever seen in my life);
- Rainforest of Warmarway village in the eastern region of Arfak mountains,
- Klasow valley in Sorong regency (where you can see wallaby, cuscus, birds of paradise)
- Mupi Gunung hamlet whose trails are very steep and are only suitable for visitors who are physically fit.
Visitors need to make certain preparations prior to their trip to Arfak range. Here are some of them:
- Bring only clothes you really need. These include some T-shirts, long trousers, underwear, running shoes or trekking boots.
- Bring mosquito net, and some insect repellent lotion.
- Extra batteries, telephoto lens for your photographic activities.
- Buy food in Manokwari city.
If you want to visit it and need my guiding service, please, contact me by email to: email@example.com