Saturday, October 28, 2017

Watching Willie Wagtail in Manokwari

Here is the picture of Willie Wagtail (Rhipidura leucophrys) that I saw while I was guiding visitors on a 3-day tour in Manokwari. The bird has got black upperparts and white underparts. The birds like to seat on the branches of trees or shrubs that extend over a river. At first, I thought it was feeding on small fresh water fish. But the article in Wikipedia says that the bird eats insects. I often see the bird when I travel along the coastal area of Manokwari, Numfor island and Waigeo island of Raja Ampat.

Birding in Raja Ampat
Recently when I visited Waisai town of Raja Ampat, I saw some Willie Wagtails when I was standing at a cape near the harbor of the regency. Some male birds were chasing a female bird for mating. Therefore, I conclude that the mating season of Willie Wagtail is in October. In addition to Willie Wagtail, I also saw Beach Kingfisher, Coconut Lorikeet, Moustached Treeswift and Singing Starling. It was a short birding experience but I really enjoyed it very much.
Willie Wagtail in Waisai town of Raja Ampat
Coconut Lorikeet
For the Coconut Lorikeet, it was feeding on the nectar of flowers of a tree in front of me. I heard his sound and immediately aimed my camera at him. He was walking down a branch and looked at me. It was only a fleeting moment but I got a few nice shots of him. Seconds later, he flew away.

Merchandise

Please, support this blog by buying art drawings and illustrations of wild animals and plants in the form of prints on various products as follows:

Watercolour Sketch of Bird

Watercolour Sketch of Bird
Fruit Dove from Tropical Rainforest

Vector Art Drawing in Inkscape

Vector Art Drawing in Inkscape
Swimming with Whaleshark

Vector art illustration in Inkscape

Vector art illustration in Inkscape
Baby leatherback turtle was reaching for the sea

Drawing of Paradise Bird

Drawing of Paradise Bird
Lesser Birds of Paradise art print on classic T-shirt

Digital Drawing in Autodesk Sketchbook

Digital Drawing in Autodesk Sketchbook
A Couple of Red Bird of Paradise